
It's been two years since I last visited Karachi, Pakistan - the city of my childhood. A lot is unchanged, from the poorly constructed roads and smartly dressed transvestites or "hijras" to the West-inspired malls and vividly apparent divide in classes. Conversation revolves around food, beauty salons and politics. As someone who considers herself as much a Pakistani as one who's never left the country, I am factually an outsider and view my people and country from a distance. I feel this allows me to understand the nuances and body language that the locals are oblivious to.
What I want to see and hear more of is ambition, stories of travel, voices of independent women fighting the norm and less judgment. Judgment is sadly second nature to Pakistanis and while I have a natural instinct to be judgmental of others at times I consciously force myself to fight the urge. Daily common judgmental comments include words like "dark", "fat" and "cheap". I personally feel that if someone wants to be a black chunky slut that's completely her choice and poo on anyone who judges her. The only time I would judge this black chunky slut is if she had nasty intentions, in which case I would prefer to smack her than to judge her.
No comments:
Post a Comment