After last year's appreciation for "Naveen's lessons learned in 2009" on Facebook, I have decided to share my lessons every year - the painful, the embarassing, the mundane, the wise and the frustrating!
1. Always, always read every single word of a contract. This is one boring activity you don't want to rush.
2. Stop planning every moment of your life. Let life happen and allow things to flow naturally.
3. When things don't move, move yourself. I struggled to find a stable job for a whole year before packing my bags and moving to London. A month later I had a job!
4. Trust no one. This is especially crucial in the workplace. There's always someone afraid you're after their job and will do their best to sabotage your reputation and credibility. Keep moving forward and work hard. Hard work speaks for itself.
5. Connections are everything, but sometimes they're not enough. This highlights my previous point. You may have the connections but they won't sustain you. YOU will sustain you.
6. Boys will be boys. It doesn't matter if they're your friend's brother. It doesn't matter if they've been a trusted friend for years. Don't let history and associations fool you. Boys will be boys, and boys will always think with their d****.
7. Safeguard yourself. Surround yourself with positive, fun people. Be financially independent. Dress warmly. Take your vitamins.
8. Family bonds must be strong. Nothing else matters for very long when they're not.
9. Parents get old. You suddenly find yourself in a situation where even your parents can't help you and you instantly become an adult. Finally!
10. Every now and then, friendships can be platonic. Who'd have thought?!
Very good lessons, Nav! And I'm pleasantly surprised you learnt the last one! Iva
ReplyDeleteyayy! A post after ever so long! and girl, I'm so on the same page as you! I know exactly where you're coming from. Safegaurd yourself, boys will be boys, family and taking life easy, I totally get how important these lessons are!!
ReplyDeleteHope the rest of the year is great for you :)
Great lessons, i can relate to almost everyone of them
ReplyDelete