Monday, November 15, 2010

Inshallah and Mashallah

Religion is a huge part of life in Pakistan. There's a prayer for good health; one for a safe journey; one to help find what's lost; one for success - the list is endless. It's interesting to see the role faith plays in the lives of Muslims. At times I find myself so far from my roots that I can't even see the Naveen I once was. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough (I'm listening to R.E.M's "Losing my religion" as I write this for inspiration). But then again there are times when I think of God - for example when I pray for my granny's health or my nieces' future, or even a small prayer every time my plane's about to take off. Someone once told me: "if you don't ask Allah he won't give you". As a student I struggled to pass one subject. I attempted again and again, failing miserably each time. After this advice I prayed - and I passed. It may have been luck for all I know, but I chose to believe it was the fact that my prayer had been answered. That's the thing about faith - it's what you believe, not what is.

Some may find it strange that I find it a turn on when Shahrukh Khan says "inshallah". He says this often by the way. It may be one of the reasons I have so much respect for him. The same goes for someone I find in Holland/London who has a Muslim background but isn't all that religious. I feel connected to them, like we're on the same page because both of us have drifted away from our roots, but deep down we know who we are and only WE understand this. It feels silly to confess that at 27 I'm still finding my way. I believe I'll have it all figured out by 30 - inshallah.

1 comment:

  1. haha. i know exactly what page that is. Back and forth, back and forth on religion, God and faith, I haven't figured out what IS. But i have kind of accepted what I want to believe.

    ReplyDelete