Tuesday, November 16, 2010

When a Wedding Taketh Over

A wedding is supposed to be a time of joy, laughter, happiness and celebration. Why then does it always bring the worst out in people? I notice each wedding turns into a case of negativity, frustration and stress. The biggest issue of concern appears to be money. I know one thing for sure - I will not be getting married in Pakistan. The hassle, the wasted time spent on driving through miserable traffic (which is ALWAYS chockablock) to a billion shops, negotiating with tailors and dyers and henna artists and caterers and venues and photographers.. aaaaaaa I can't take it anymore! My wedding will be simple. It will involve hiring a wedding planner and making sure the guy's family pays for it. Okay that was a bit cheeky but surely there has to be way out of this madness!

Watching everyone around me makes me realize how much my mother did for my sister's wedding. NOTHING was unfinished or unresolved. She took care of everything from the jeweler, makeup artist and clothes to the venue, catering, invitations and what not. The only concern my sister had was to get a good night's rest before her big day. I too was oblivious to everything my mother singlehandedly managed - a true superwoman!

I'm also getting a better understanding of how important in-laws are to Pakistani marriages. Here, it's LITERALLY a case of buy one get a whole family and their friends and enemies for free. I would hate the thought of interfering family members who aren't even my own. As a rebel I rarely listen to my own blood let alone outsiders. This too worries me but I'm finding great comfort in the fact that I don't live here and can speak my mind openly five days from now. Pakistanis, as wonderful as they are in their own way, are ridiculously hypocritical and shallow. It's about ignoring our actions and judging others for theirs. It's also ALL about society and making others happy. Never mind your own happiness - in fact don't even mention your own happiness - please others even if it's your big day. Be miserable in the process, but please your in-laws and distant relatives until your last breath. Oh and don't feel bad either as Allah will reward you in your next life.

Can anyone read the sarcasm?!

And so once again I find myself between two worlds, not fully belonging to either like millions out there including my friends. I guess that's what draws us to each other. We're just too damn alike!

1 comment:

  1. tell me about it...sounds like my version of an identity crisis!

    ReplyDelete