I watched my first Bollywood film at the young age of eight. It was in Munich, Germany where my sister and I were visiting a family friend. To ease our boredom as impatient kids, she rented out Mard starring Amitabh Bachchan. 18 years on, my passion for Bollywood hasn't faded by even one percent. In fact, as each year passes, I become even more dedicated. Perhaps it's my link to my roots and as each year passes of my living away from them, Bollywood moves closer to me.Anyone who knows me learns within hours and at times minutes that I am a major Bollywood fan. I read Bollywood news religiously every day, and am in shock when someone tells me a scoop of Bollywood gupshup I haven't heard already, especially if it's about Shahrukh Khan. The mighty SRK is someone I've idolised and been rather obsessed with for longer than I can remember. I've paid ridiculous amounts of money to watch him live thrice in Holland, and each time the same adrenaline rush takes over. I found SRK's performance in My Name Is Khan exceptional - his best work by far.
Non-Bollywood fans who I try my best to convert ask me the same question: Why do you love it so much? The answer my little ignoramus friends is that no film industry can make you FEEL as much as Bollywood does. I accredit my emotions, sensitivity and passion to Bollywood. Indifference is an emotion that eludes Bollywood and my life. Bollywood resurrects family ties, courtship, marriage and since the last five to ten years - being educated, ambitious and worldly.
I've introduced friends from all parts of the world to Bollywood - Dutch, Nigerian, British, Czechen, Iranian - each has warmed up to it, and some admitted to me that they youtubed Bollywood songs in the privacy of their homes. I say mission accomplished!
No comments:
Post a Comment