I can't remember the last time I picked up the phone to call someone to have a chat for the sake of having a chat (immediate family excluded) . It's not that I don't care or that I can't spare a moment - I'm just not a phone person.
Gone are the days when I rushed home from school to call the same friends I had just spent all day with, or called a friend after a week of lectures and workshops at university. What also seems like an distant memory are Skype calls with fellow intern friends.
I realize more and more that this is a counter effect of having been a Londoner making it on my own for almost 5 years. Crammed London Underground, packed stations and tourists galore, I feasted on the silence of my home. I don't know if I'm turning into a recluse yet as I thoroughly enjoy the company of loved ones, but just the thought of putting a phone against my ear after a busy and tiring day exhausts me.
Then there's small talk. I'm not a fan. Some people can indulge in small talk and random chatter for hours on end. Who has the time?!
That brings me to Whatsapp. I love Whatsapp. It gives me a socially acceptable platform to connect and make plans to socialize without subjecting me to tiresome small talk. I fully appreciate we call each other with every good intention and I do enjoy a good 'quality' phone catch up every now and again but it seems my ears have a lower threshold than most:)
Of course if Hugh Jackman were to call asking for me, you know nothing.
Gone are the days when I rushed home from school to call the same friends I had just spent all day with, or called a friend after a week of lectures and workshops at university. What also seems like an distant memory are Skype calls with fellow intern friends.
I realize more and more that this is a counter effect of having been a Londoner making it on my own for almost 5 years. Crammed London Underground, packed stations and tourists galore, I feasted on the silence of my home. I don't know if I'm turning into a recluse yet as I thoroughly enjoy the company of loved ones, but just the thought of putting a phone against my ear after a busy and tiring day exhausts me.
Then there's small talk. I'm not a fan. Some people can indulge in small talk and random chatter for hours on end. Who has the time?!
That brings me to Whatsapp. I love Whatsapp. It gives me a socially acceptable platform to connect and make plans to socialize without subjecting me to tiresome small talk. I fully appreciate we call each other with every good intention and I do enjoy a good 'quality' phone catch up every now and again but it seems my ears have a lower threshold than most:)
Of course if Hugh Jackman were to call asking for me, you know nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment