Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sound of Silence

Today has been a very quiet day. Quiet not in terms of nothing happening, but because I have been working in my room peacefully while listening to the soft purr of the pedestal fan. It really is my saviour in this humid weather.

After waking up to an alarm days on end, I strategically put my phone on silent last night, only to wake up at 2:30 this afternoon. This too was because I heard my flatmate speaking at the top of his lungs on Skype – in French! On days like this I conveniently conclude that my body “needed” the rest rather than feeling guilty about being a waste of space.

I also choose to see this wonderful silence as an opportunity to ponder over my life, friends and family. I wonder what everyone is doing today. I wonder if they are happy. I wonder if anyone has time to indulge in these thoughts nowadays unless they’re forced to. London doesn’t leave much time to reminisce.

I am also excited about taking on new challenges and leaving old ones behind. A close friend of mine always says that we should never hang around a job if we start to feel “stale”. I’m a sponge. I love the feeling of a fresh sponge taking in new information, conversations and surroundings.

2 comments:

  1. An excellent observation, Londoners never have time to reminisce, I should know cos I was born one and in another life I would like a quiet one where I can just sleep and enjoy being alive rather than working 7 days a week just to pay the rent : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! On the other hand, you can say that doing all this stuff makes you feel alive rather than a waste of space:)

    ReplyDelete