Sunday, June 27, 2010

Move faster - please!

Almost five months on, I'm a broken-in Londoner. I move like the speed of lighting (even on weekends), I curse, I crave Friday night drinks, my sentences end with questions that require agreement {"It's hot today, isn't it?"}, I'm in love with muffins and my day isn't complete without a hot cuppa Starbucks in my hands while rushing like mad woman to work.

Work has been manic and I've learnt that sales may be the hardest job in the world. It is VERY difficult to convince people to give you their money in a recession. I have also learnt that relationships in sales are quite similar to relationships between you and I. You put your best foot forward, make an offer for proposal and wait for a response. There are three kinds of responses- One: "I do". Two: I'll say I do but I won't mean it and I shall terminate any false hope I built up for a relationship". Three: "Not a chance".

Chance
is a small word with lots of meaning like luck, love, the oh-so-powerful hate and fear. This week has been about chances. I had the chance to get VIP seats at X-Factor. I took it and ended up sitting a mere three rows away from Simon Cowell. Then, I had the chance to go to a Bollywood party. I took it and ended up meeting two BBC adored radio tycoons. Not a bad week by far.

Far. Holland's far isn't it? Well not really, but sometimes the distance between two countries only helps in terms of flight ticket expenditure. Distance is distance and I must admit, any time I get a moment away from the madness of London, I feel very, very, very homesick and wonder what the hell I'm doing here away from family and friends.

Friends and lovers are next on the menu. Between getting a job, finding a decent place to live and moving out to a better place closer to work, I haven't had much of a chance to invest in new friendships and dare I say, relationships. It may be time to rechannel my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment